Like a lot of bootstrappers out there I have secret addiction and felt it was time to discuss it in public 😉
My name is Darren and I am an Idea Addict! There I have said it.
So what is an Idea Addict?
Well the dictionary describes Idea as the following:
A thought or suggestion as to a possible course of action:
recently, the idea of linking pay to performance has caught on
it’s a good idea to do some research before you go
And Addict as the following:
A person who is addicted to a particular substance, typically an illegal drug: a former heroin addict
That seems a little over the top for our purposes, so I prefer the informal definition:
An enthusiastic devotee of a specified thing or activity:
a self-confessed chocolate addict
Now I think the Addict part of Idea Addict is somewhere between the two of them. It is not as severe as a drug addiction but can be enough of a problem to get in the way of actually doing things.
My definition of an idea addict is the following:
A person with an addiction to coming up with new ideas and has no control over forming them.
Are you an idea addict? What are the signs?
Well for myself and why I think I am an Idea Addict my traits are the following:
- I have ideas written down all over the place. I used to write them on paper, but computers are so much better.
- My Todo lists end up being filled up with ideas.
- I can’t look at a new problem or product without generating an idea that I think improves it.
- I love to problem solve everything.
- I come up with Ideas while watching the news.
- My better half will roll her eyes when I tell her about my latest great new idea and can’t keep up with all of the new ideas that I tell her.
- I often think I should have been an inventor or an industrial product designer.
- If you have an over traits that you think I have missed then put them in the comments and I’ll add them to my next article on the subject.
So there you go, I am an Idea Addict, and I had an Idea to write about being an Idea Addict 😀